“I received free samples of POM Wonderful mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by POM Wonderful and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.”
Have you ever tried pomegranate juice? To be honest…until last week, I never had! I know, what? But why!? Thanks to POM that has changed. POM was nice enough to send us, the members of the Recipe Redux group, three bottles of their pomegranate juice to use in a recipe and I was thrilled.
Pomegranate juice is an awesome choice for smoothies…and recipes of any kind for many reasons. Pomegranate juice is an excellent source of potassium and antioxidants. Additionally, POM 100% pomegranate juice is powered by unique polyphenols that early research suggests have promising results for post-workout muscle strength recovery. Certain types of polyphenol antioxidants, like those found in pomegranate juice, may help increase nitric oxide bioavailability by protecting it from
breaking down in the body. Nitric oxide helps your body get the oxygen and nutrients in needs during exercise! So if you are physically active (and I hope you are 😉 ) that’s another reason to add pomegranate juice to your diet. Note: *although the research reported is promising, additional clinical research is needed to establish causation and the potential impact of pomegranate polyphenols and exercise.
So now that we know why pomegranate juice is so great…let’s use it an a recipe! I decided to go with a smoothie bowl because they’re light and easy and I love eating them for any meal or snack. They are super easy to make, you can pack them with protein and fiber and…antioxidants and they taste amazing. So here is my version. I hope you love it!
Pomegranate Toasted Coconut Smoothie Bowl
- 8 oz. POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 2 cups ice
- 2-3 strawberries
- 1/2 banana
- 1/3 cup blackberries
- 2 Tbsp. pistachios
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp. pistachios
- 2-3 Tbsp. coconut, toasted
- Place frozen banana, POM pomegranate juice, greek yogurt, protein powder and ice in a blender and mix until combined, add enough ice to reach desired consistency
- While smoothie is blending pour coconut into a saucepan over medium heat on the stove and cook for several minutes, until lightly toasted
- Pour smoothie mixture into a bowl and set aside
- Slice banana and strawberries
- Place strawberries, bananas, blackberries, coconut, pistachios and chia seeds on top of the smoothie mixture and ENJOY!
Now…go try it out for yourself and let me know what you think!