So ya’ll know it’s…SUMMER. And the Recipe Redux decided that we should try out some keep-cool cooking. We were challenged to create a recipe using a “keep cool” appliance (e.g. microwave, slow cooker, etc.) I like to keep things simple so I went for the…MICROWAVE. Yep, gotta love it.
So, here’s the thing. I just really love sweets. I can’t help it. I have a serious sweet tooth. BUT baking often gets HOT. AmIRight? Turning on the oven heats up the whole house, and we don’t want that when it’s 100+ degrees outside. So a sweet treat that you can make with just the microwave seems like a win in my book. That’s why I created these…
Healthified Protein Muddy Buddies
- 6 cups rice cereal (I used Rice Chex)
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 4 Tbsp. powdered peanut butter (you could also use regular peanut butter) + water
- 1 scoop (~1/4-1/3 cup) vanilla protein powder
- 1/3 cup powdered stevia
- 1-2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pour rice cereal into a large bowl and set aside
- Put chocolate chips into a bowl and microwave until liquified, stirring occasionally so they don’t burn
- Mix powdered peanut butter with water until it forms a thick liquid
- Mix peanut butter mixture with chocolate and add vanilla, add more water if needed until mixture is a “pourable” consistency
- Pour peanut butter chocolate mix over the rice cereal and stir until cereal is evenly coated
- Pour protein powder and powdered stevia over cereal mixture and mix until evenly coated with powder
- Let sit out to “dry” and enjoy!
Try em’ out. I’m a HUGE fan. I’m not going to lie and say they taste just as good as regular- sugar and fat filled – Muddy Buddies…BUT they are still super delicious and much healthier and higher in protein. So a perfect healthified treat? I think YES.