This month for the Recipe Redux challenge. We were challenged to come up with an idea to reduce food waste. Honestly, I don’t feel like I waste much food. I HATE wasting food because…um…money! I don’t want any of my dollars to go to waste and the feeling of throwing away food just makes me sad. I wasn’t quite sure what to do for this recipe but then it came to me. I love love LOVE nut butters. One of my all-time favorites is almond butter. I especially like the kind that you grind yourself in the bulk section of the grocery store…just pure almonds. Some people don’t like the gritty texture but I love it! I always get so sad when it’s gone and I don’t want a single particle of that delicious almond butter to go to waste…SO I decided, why not use that container to make something that would use up those last little bits that usually go to waste. #amiright?!
So the idea of my almond butter banana overnight oats came to life and let me tell you. It did not disappoint. I ate them this morning for breakfast at work because they’re perfect for an on-the-go breakfast and they were tasty! So try them out for yourself…
Almond Butter Banana Overnight Oats
- 1 almost empty almond butter container or jar
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 tsp. chia seeds
- 1/3 cup skim milk (or milk of choice)
- Sprinkle of sweetener of choice (I used Stir) – optional
- Pour the oats, chia seeds and sweetener into the almost empty almond butter container or jar
- Pour in the milk and mix together
- Add bananas and stir them in
- Sprinkle with sweetener if desired
- Let them sit in the fridge overnight
- In the morning, mix them up and enjoy!
PLUS. Check out lots of other recipes for reducing food waste via the link below!