This month for the Recipe Redux challenge, we were asked to look back on our earliest “culinary memories” and remember how we learned to cook. From our mom or grandma? Did we teach ourselves? Etc… And then we were supposed to create a healthy (always healthy of course!) 😉 recipe that was linked to those memories.
When I started to think back, some of my earliest memories are of cheese…grilled cheese…grilled cheese sandwiches. I loved them then and I love them now. I remember making them as a kid. I don’t even really know how I “learned how” but I remember making them when my parents were on date night and we were in charge of our own dinner or even as just making them for a snack. Back then it was simple…just bread and cheese and that’s it. My tastes have changed, and I’d like to think matured somewhat since those days…and while I still LOVE grilled cheese sandwiches, they’ve become a little more fancy…and healthy these days. This was a grilled cheese sandwich idea that I came up with the other day. It literally took about 5 minutes to throw together and IT. WAS. DELICOUCS. It will definitely be a new regular in my meal rotation.
Healthified Grown Up Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices whole wheat bread (I used Dave’s Killer Bread)
- About 2 ounces light cheese (I used Babybell light)
- 1/3 roma tomato, sliced
- 1/4 medium avocado, sliced
- Sprinkle of garlic salt
- Small amount of olive oil or olive oil spray for cooking
- Slice up your cheese and place it on one of the slices of bread
- Slice up your tomato and avocado and place on top of the cheese
- Sprinkle the sandwich with garlic salt
- Spray a frying pan with olive oil spray (or pour a small amount in the pan and spread it around)
- Place other piece of bread on top to complete your sandwich
- Cook the sandwich on each side until cheese is melty and bread is slightly toasted
- ENJOY! (Believe me, you will…it’s G.O.O.D!)