It’s winter. And what’s better in winter than soup? Answer: Nothing. Especially Broccoli Cheese Soup. There is a special place in my heart for Broccoli Cheese Soup. No reason other than I absolutely LOVE love LOVE it.
Recently, the good people over at Progresso gave us dietitians in the Recipe Redux group, a chance to try out some of their stocks. I received the vegetable and unsalted chicken stocks and my first thought was that I needed to make soup. Because, duh…it’s freezing outside and I needed to warm up! As per usual, this is a healthified recipe. Usually Broccoli Cheese soup is loaded with fat and sodium…but this version. Not at all. It’s loaded with veggies…..lots and lots and LOTS of broccoli and it’s made with greek yogurt instead of cream. Greek yogurt for the WIN. Again. The Progresso vegetable broth added a perfect flavor boost to the soup to make it that much more delicious. Here is the recipe…hope you love it as much as I do!
Healthy Broccoli Cheese Soup
3 cups Progresso Vegetable Stock
3-4 cups broccoli florets, chopped
1/2 onion, diced (preferably a yellow onion)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
Dash of pepper
1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
5 ounces Colby-jack (or cheddar) cheese, shredded
Whole wheat crackers (optional)
1. Combine vegetable stock, broccoli, onion, garlic, salt and pepper in a saucepan and heat until boiling
2. Pour broth mixture into a blender and blend until smooth
3. Pour mixture back into saucepan and turn on low heat
4. Add greek yogurt and cheese and stir in until cheese is melted
5. Turn off stovetop and let soup cool slightly
6. Top with additional cheese and whole wheat crackers (optional) and enjoy!