First of all. You may have noticed that over the past month or so this blog has been kind of different. I had my whole “Motivational Monday…Workout Wednesday…Fit Food Friday” thing going on but then I left for Nepal and I came back and things just got crazy. Also, I’ve been working with a lot of companies to review products and with the holiday season coming up I want do so some things differently so for the next 2 months, until January, I won’t be following that schedule anymore. I’ll be posting lots of product reviews, LOTS of healthy holiday recipes (see details about this below) and tips for staying healthy during the holidays. I’ll still sneak some motivational posts and workouts in of course, but just wanted to give ya’ll a heads up. Come January though, I’ll try to get back to my previous schedule!
I was recently contacted to participate in another awesome Recipe Roundup…seeing as it’s officially November (bring on the Christmas music!) I was super excited to contribute to this Healthy Thanksgiving Side Dishes Recipe Round-Up. I love, I mean…really really LOVE Thanksgiving. So much. It can be really hard to not over-do it though. With so much delicious food all over the place, it can be incredibly difficult to practice self control so having a few healthier and skinnified options is always helpful!
Thus, I decided to provide all of ya’ll with a healthy recipe each week during November to give you a few ideas of healthier options you can include at your Thanksgiving feast this year. Each week I’ll be posting a healthy Thanksgiving recipe. This week, like I said, the recipe is part of a recipe round-up so I’ll post the link to the Round-Up when it’s posted so you can get more ideas for healthy Thanksgiving side dish recipes.
So, my contribution this month…and for your first November recipe: Skinny Spinach & Artichoke Dip with Homemade Pita Chips. There are few appetizers/side dishes that I love as much as spinach and artichoke dip. Like, for real. I LOVE artichokes and when you mix that with creamy amazingness and crispy chips, well…you really can’t go wrong. However, most of these dips are loaded with fat and calories and paired with salt-heavy chips. So, why not enjoy a little healthier, and yet still super delicious version. I promise, it’s really good…AND it’s only 210 calories per serving!
Spinach & Artichoke Dip
4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
12-15 marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
1 1/3 cups plain greek yogurt
Dash of garlic salt
1/4 cup low-fat feta cheese
4 whole wheat tortillas (I used flat out wraps)
Olive oil cookie spray (or just olive oil)
Sprinkle of garlic powder
Sprinkle of dried rosemary
1. Chop spinach and artichoke hearts and mix together
2. Add greek yogurt and garlic salt and combine with spinach and artichokes
3. Sprinkle with feta cheese
4. Place in the oven and cook for 12-15 minutes @ 375 degrees F
5. Once you’ve put the dip in the oven slice a tortilla into triangle shapes to make “chips”
6. Place “chips on a baking sheet sprayed with olive oil spray
7. Spray tortilla pieces (on the other side – side facing up_ with olive oil stray or dust with olive oil
8. Sprinkle garlic powder and dried rosemary on “chips”
9. Place “chips” in the oven with dip and bake for 4-5 minutes, then flip them over with a spatula
10. Bake them for another 2-3 minutes, until slightly browned and crispy
(be careful not to over-bake, they can burn quickly!)
11. Take out your chips and dip and let them cool