win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.”
It’s time again. Recipe Redux time. I know, I know…everyone’s favorite time of the month. Anyway, so this month the “challenge” if you will, was to use lean beef in a healthy meal. I’ll admit, I don’t eat a lot of beef. Mostly because it’s usually more expensive and I just have an easier time cooking and throwing chicken into something, it’s my go-to. BUT I love beef. I love steak (hey, I’m an Idaho girl) Lean beef can definitely fit into a healthy diet. It is packed with protein (22 g per 3 oz. serving) and it’s a great source of iron and Vitamin B-12 (which you know I need because of the whole anemia thing…so bring on the steak!).
You’ve gotta get your protein, and you really should try to have protein at every meal. Why is protein so important? Well let’s chat about that…
- Protein is an important component to the cells in your body. You’re nails and hair and nails are made up of mostly protein.
- It helps repair injured tissues and build muscle. I mean, we all want muscles right? Right.
- Protein is also used to make enzymes, hormones, etc. in your body. I mean, I could maybe do with a few less hormones at times. (Anyone else tear up at the Swiffer and Purina Puppy Chow commercials. Really though, how adorable are they?) but they do a lot of great things too, so I guess I’ll take the good with the bad.
- Protein can actually help you feel full longer, so if you’re trying to lose weight and cut calories, protein is an essential part of that. Protein foods are usually quite filling (think meat, eggs, nuts/nut butters…) they fill you up and keep you full, right? Yep. Studies have shown that incorporating protein into each meal helps people lose weight. It’s just the truth.
- If you’re trying to build muscle, protein is also important because protein build muscle. Simple as that.
These are just a few of the benefits of protein. So do you believe me? It’s important.
So now that I’ve (hopefully) convinced you. Here is the recipe I came up with. It’s SUPER easy (you know that’s my style) and incredibly tasty. Hope you love it as much as I did!
Very Veggie Beef Stir Fry
3 oz. lean beef (stew meat, cut into chunks)
1/3 green bell pepper
1/2 cup cauliflower
1/3 large tomato
3-5 button mushrooms
Olive oil cooking spray
Garlic & Herb Mrs. DashDirections
1. Chop up your beef if it’s not already cut into chunks. I bough stew meat so it was already cut.
2. Spray pan with olive oil cooking spray and set over medium heat
3. Place meat in pan and cook on all sides until almost done
4. While meat is cooking chop up your veggies (experiment and try whatever veggies you like!)
5. Place veggies in your pan with the beef and cook until slightly roasted
6. Sprinkle the whole tasty concoction with Garlic & Herb Mrs. Dash (or whatever seasonings you little
7. Pour into a bowl and enjoy your protein packed meal!
(PS I topped the final product with a big scoop of guacamole…delish!)#sponsored