So it’s that time again…time for another monthly Recipe Redux Recipe. This month’s theme was Chocolate Combos. Chocolate + ________. What is your favorite chocolate combo? Of course peanut butter is an obvious choice BUT another of my favorite chocolate combos is chocolate with banana! Mmmm. Who doesn’t love banana? So for this month’s recipe I decided to create these Healthy Chocolate Banana Bread Bars. The recipe was inspired by Ambitious Kitchen. I made a few changes but you can find the original recipe on her site here.
Healthy Chocolate Banana Bread Bars
- 1 1/8 c. oats (grind in food processor to “flour” consistency)
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 ½ medium ripe bananas
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. applesauce
- 2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1/4 c. dark chocolate chips (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 8 x 8 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Put oats into food processor (or blender) and blend until oatmeal has the same texture as flour.
- Place oat flour into a bowl and mix in baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Place bananas, vanilla, applesauce, and honey and egg into food processor or blender and mix until mixture is smooth. Add to dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in the dark chocolate chips and pour the batter into a pan, spreading
Bake for 12-15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and allow to cool.
- Cut bars and eat up!