If you follow me on instagram (@the_baking_dietitian) you know I’ve been promising to post a couple of recipes. The first is a life-changing Pesto Chicken & Mushroom Quesadilla recipe and the second is a new favorite fall dessert…Pumpkin Oat Bread with Streusel Topping (also life changing). If you read this blog often, you may notice that I promise to change your life a lot. Ironic, coming from someone who’s not a big fan of change, but these are all good changes so let’s get on with it…
Pesto Chicken & Mushroom Quesadilla
- Whole wheat tortilla (I used a flat out wrap)
- 3 oz. grilled chicken (shredded)
- 2-3 medium mushrooms, sliced
- 1-2 Tbsp. pesto
- 1-2 Tbsp. feta cheese
- 1/3 cup spinach leaves.
- Sautee the mushrooms and spinach in a pan over the stove
- Spread the pesto on the wrap and place grilled chicken, mushrooms, spinach and feta on half of the tortilla
- Fold in half and grill in your pan for 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and cheese is melted
And now, onto the part we really care about…dessert.
Pumpkin Oat Bread with Streusel Topping
- Streusel topping (see below)
- 1 ½ c. whole wheat flour
- 1 c. rolled oats
- 1/2 c. + 2 Tbsp. honey or pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 c. canned pumpkin
- ⅓ c. low-fat milk
- ¼ c. greek yogurt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. chilled butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- To make the streusel topping, in a small bowl, cut together the brown sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, and chilled butter. You want this mixture to be crumbly. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, combine white whole wheat flour, rolled oats, honey/maple syrup, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin seasoning, salt, pumpkin, milk, greek yogurt, vanilla extract, and eggs
- Mix just until moist and combined.
- Pour bread batter into a 8 x4 loaf pan sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle streusel topping on top.
- Bake 50- 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (don’t over-bake it or it will be dry).
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes or so. If you’re like me you’ll throw it in the freeze to speed up the process…I have no patience.
- Also always, enjoy!
recipe adapted from: www.organizeyourselfskinny.com