A healthy fruit pizza with a whole grain, oatmeal cookie crust and yogurt frosting.
*Makes 12 servingsIngredients
PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING:
2 cups (16 oz.) plain greek yogurt
2/3 cup peanut butter (or PB2 or other nut butter)
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons honey, or more to taste (can substitute with your preferred sweetener)OATMEAL COOKIE CRUST:
1/3 cup vegetable (or coconut) oil
¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
½ cup packed brown sugar (you can use the recipe listed below for sugar-free brown sugar if you prefer)
1 large egg
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cups rolled oats (not instant)
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
*Sugar Free Brown Sugar
1 cup sugar free sweetener of your choice (Stevia, etc.)
¾ t. molasses
2-4 drops of maple extract
Mix all ingredients together (easy peasy) FRESH FRUIT:
Varied colors make for the prettiest pizza pie…which is obviously what we’re going for.
I suggest choosing from:
Sliced strawberries, sliced kiwi, sliced bananas, halved grapes, halved cherries, berries (blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries)
In medium bowl, add frosting ingredients and stir until well combined. Taste and add more honey, if needed. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees .
- Line pizza pan or cookie sheet with parchment paper, extending it 1 inch from the pan edge on at least 2 sides; set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together oil, applesauce, brown sugar, egg, & vanilla until well combined.
- Add flour, oats, and baking powder. Stir with wooden spoon until well combined. Stir in chopped walnuts.
- Transfer dough to center of parchment-covered pizza pan/cookie sheet, and spread with back of wooden spoon evenly to edges of pan. Bake 15 minutes until starting to slightly brown around edges and firm in center.
- Cool 15 minutes in pan on cooling rack.
- Use parchment paper “handles” to remove crust from pan and transfer to cooling rack; cool completely .
- Transfer crust onto serving plate; carefully peel off parchment paper. Turn crust over.
FROST AND TOP WITH FRUIT:
- Frost crust with chilled yogurt frosting, spreading evenly all the way to the edge.
- Arrange fresh fruit on top in a circle.
- Serve right away, or chill for up to 4 hours before serving.
*GLUTEN FREE OPTION: Use gluten-free oats and substitute gluten-free oat flour for the wheat flour.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (Per serving – based on 12 servings per pizza pie)
Using peanut butter (or other nut butters) in frosting:
336 calories , 18 g fat , 3 g fiber, 11 g protein
Using PB2 in frosting:
272 calories, 12 g fat, 3 g fiber, 10 g protein