I think we can almost all agree that road trips are one of the hardest times as far as eating healthy. The gas station isn’t exactly ideal for healthy eating/snacking. There are some healthier options there but it’s definitely more difficult. So preparation is key. If you have healthy snacks prepped and ready to go. You can keep up with your healthy eating plan AND save some money by avoiding buying over-priced gas station food.
I don’t know about you but I hate the feeling of sitting in a car all day and eating a bunch of junk…just not a good combo. So I always try to pack snacks that will keep me feeling good.
I wanted to have things that would store well and didn’t need to be refrigerated. I also like to pre-package smaller packs of things like trail mix because if I don’t…I’ll inhale the whole giant bag at once. Dividing crackers, trail mix, etc. into smaller portions in little baggies helps me with portion control. I recommend it unless you have a lot more self control than me, in which case, good for you.
Here’s what I packed
- Fruit (apples, peaches)
- Crackers (Wheat Thins)
- Nature Valley Dark Chocolate Granola Thins
- Veggies and Hummus (baby carrots, celery + single serving Sabra hummus)
- Homemade trail mix (almonds, cashews, pistachios, dark chocolate covered craisens and dried blueberries)
- Fruit Leather (Stretch Island Fruit Co.)
- Water + Crystal Light Packets (I get kind of bored drinking water so I switch it up sometimes and add some Crystal Light for flavor) WAY better than chugging soda which adds a ton of calories and sugar, usually without you really even realizing it)
I’m feeling pretty good about these yummy snacks I have packed. I’m feeling even better about the iced oatmeal cookie i’m going to get at Sweet Tooth Fairy as soon as we get to Utah. Plus, this way I’ll feel better about eating that cookie knowing I had healthy snacks all day! Which means I can have two cookies…right?
Packed and ready to go!
(I added 2 baggies of Half Naked popcorn after I had everything packed)