I love vegetables. However, I know a lot of people aren’t veggie lovers so one of the best ways to get in your recommended 2-3 cups per day (you can check this MyPlate Chart to see exactly what your recommendations are based on your age, gender, etc.) is to mix them into dishes so that you don’t have to try to force them down plain.
I came across this veggie and pesto quesadilla a while ago and it has quickly become a staple at our house. Everyone loves it! It’s simple to make. Healthy. And sooo good. All you have to do is assemble a few ingredients and get to grillin’. Enjoy!
*Makes 4 quesadillas (servings)
- 1 small zucchini, diagonally sliced into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 small summer squash, diagonally sliced into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed
- 1 small red onion, sliced into ¼ inch rounds
- 1 large Portobello mushroom, cleaned and sliced into ½ inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Black Pepper
- 4 whole grain tortillas
- 4 tablespoon pesto, divided
- 1-1/2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 4 oz feta cheese, divided
- Start by preparing your vegetables. Drizzle the sliced vegetables with 2 tbsp olive oil and season with salt and white pepper.
- Place vegetables on the grill (or in a grill pan) and cook for approximately 3 minutes on each side or until just tender.
- Remove the vegetables from the grill and let cool for 5 minutes. Cut the grilled vegetables in thoroughly 1-inch pieces and set aside.
- To assemble each quesadilla: Spread a tortilla with 1 tablespoon pesto. Sprinkle ¼ cup mozzarella cheese on ½ of the tortilla. Add ¼ of the grilled vegetables and crumble 1 oz of goat cheese over them. Sprinkle another ¼ cup mozzarella on top and fold the tortilla over to close.
- Place the quesadilla on a lightly oiled grill (or grill pan) and cook for 3 minutes on each side until the cheese in fully melted. Slice and serve the classiest quesadillas ever.