Whole Wheat Mushroom Chicken Pesto Pasta
*Makes about 4 servings
- 1/2 pound whole wheat rotini pasta
- 8 oz. chicken tenders
- 2 cups asparagus, chopped into pieces about an inch long
- 1/2 lb. button mushrooms, sliced
- 2/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
For the pesto
- 3 cups spinach
- 1/3-1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Olive oil (enough to moisten the mixture)
- Cook pasta in a pot on the oven per the directions on the box.
- While pasta is cooking, grill chicken tenders in a pan on the stove until cooked through (165 degrees) and then chop into bite sized pieces.
- In another saucepan pour about 1 Tbsp. olive oil and cook mushrooms until tender over medium-high heat. Once the mushrooms are cooked add the asparagus pieces and cook until tender ad well.
- In another sauce pan (I just wash the chicken one and use it) roast the walnuts, stirring until they smell roasted, watch them because they go from perfect to burnt very quickly…I learned that the hard way.
- Drain the pasta once it’s al dente and add the mushroom/asparagus mixture, chicken, and roasted walnuts.
- In a food processor (you could also use a blender) whip together the pesto by combining all the pesto ingredients and mixing until they are mixed thoroughly and the pesto is “creamy” like a light sauce.
- Add the pesto to the pasta mixture and stir until all ingredients are well combined.
- Top with a little extra parmesan cheese if desired.
- Eat your heart out!