- 2 sticks butter, room temperature (1 cup)
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
For toasted coconut frosting:
- 3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/8-1/4 tsp. coconut extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 12″ pan well with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat together the butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and egg yolks and keep beating until well combined. Add the flour and salt and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Press dough into the bottom of your pan and prick several times with a fork. Bake for about 20-23 minutes until edges are golden brown.
- Let cookie bar base cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, toast the coconut in a small pan over medium/high heat. Watch this — it burns quick! You want nice golden brown bits of coconut.
- After the coconut has been toasted, set aside. Cream together the butter and powdered sugar until very light and fluffy. Add the coconut extract and toasted coconut, reserving two tablespoons of toasted coconut. Mix well. Spread frosting over bars and sprinkle extra toasted coconut on top.
- Slice into little squares and be ready for you life to change forever.
Recipe and photo credit: http://www.eatliverun.com/toasted-coconut-cookie-bars/