I’m a huge snacker. I joke that I can’t go more than 2 hours without eating, but really, it’s pretty true. So in order to not eat way more than my body needs each day I try to stick to snacks that are lower in calories, low in fat and sugar, and high in protein. Of course my snacks don’t always meet all these criteria but they are great snack choices for people trying to lose weight or just maintain their weight and eat more healthfully and they’re all under 200 calories! They keep you from “over-doing it” while still satisfying you hunger. Here are a few of my favorite snacks:
Why they’re great? Each fruit leather has…
· ½ serving of fruit
· 100% natural
· No artificial additives
· Real-fruit purée
· No added sugar – all sugar comes naturally from fruit
· Non-GMO Project VerifiedThey are pretty tasty and they come in a variety of flavors. My personal favorite is strawberry!
Why they’re great? Per serving…
· Only 100 calories per serving (180 calories if you add 1 T. butterscotch chips)
· High in calcium
· Only 2 grams of fat 1.5 of saturated fat)
· Low in cholesterol and Sodium
· 4 grams of protein
These things are addicting! They are creamy and delicious. One of my favorite ways to eat them is to take the vanilla bean flavor, put it in the microwave so it’s just softened and mix in about 1 tablespoon of butterscotch chips. Yum!
Why they’re great?
· 100% whole grain
· No trans fat
· Cholesterol free
· Only 30-35 calories per cup (varies slightly depending on flavor)
· Non-GMO Project Verified
· Natural, simple ingredients (popcorn, sunflower oil, sea salt)I love popcorn because it’s so light and doesn’t leave you feeling heavy but it it a great snack to curb your hunger and satisfy a salty-food craving!
Why they’re great? Each serving has..
· Only 110-130 calories per serving
· 2 grams saturated fat
· Cholesterol free
· Delicious blend of nuts and dried fruitsI have always been a fan of trail mix. I love the mixture of salty and sweet you get from the nuts and fruits with a little big of chocolate and/or yogurt thrown in there. These aren’t made with completely all natural ingredients but they are filled with fruits and nuts and definitely a better option than digging into the potato chips or candy stash! Just make sure to watch your portion size!
Why they’re great? Yogurt + 1 Tablespoon Chocolate Chips has…
· Only 150 calories
· 1 gram saturated fat· 13 grams of protein
· No trans fats
· Good source of riboflavin, calcium, protein, phosphorus and vitamin D
This is one of favorite snacks for those late-night cravings. I usually combine the strawberry yogurt with 1 tablespoon of semi-sweet chocolate chips and it does the trick! So delicious and a great late night snack that doesn’t leave you feeling overly full for when you hit the pillow that night!